Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Back to the 80's

So I am definitely a child of the 80's and proud to be so. Even though I was not very big I have some very fond memories of some classic 80's pop-culture: jelly shoes, massive amounts of hairspray, the birth of MTV and of course those fabulous Saturday morning cartoons. Who can forget the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Or how about He-Man and She-Ra? Or the Thundercats? One of my personal favorites was Jem a show in which several young girls transform into world-saving rock-stars by pressing their star shaped earrings. I mean, who couldn't love that?!

But regardless of whether or not you happened to watch Saturday morning cartoons you are probably familiar with PSA's. Now I don't know if they started doing them in the 80's or that's just when they became really popular but they were all over the television sets. So much so that some of those fabulous Saturday morning cartoons started adding them to the ends of their episodes. Two of the ones I can remember the most were Captain Planet and G.I. Joe. Captain Planet's were always good and usually about protecting the environment in some way, but G.I. Joe's were the best because of their slogan: Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Hence the tie-in to 80's cartoons. I decided to borrow G.I. Joe's brilliant line because that is exactly what I think our lives here in this current world are all about. It is a battle trying to find the information that you need, the information you can trust, the information that other people may not want you to have, the knowledge that will protect you and your loved ones. How do you begin to even sift through the vast amount of information that is available on the internet? How do you know that you can even trust it once you find it? Can we really kid ourselves that we don't fight a battle in some way every single day when it comes to information?

I have faced this battle over and over again. The battle for knowledge. Luckily I am really obsessive at times and when I get something into my head I can't let it go until I figure it out. But I know a lot of people out there are discouraged. That is why I am starting this blog. I know in reality I am just adding one more site to the list of thousands (probably millions) that need to be sifted through, but I find myself sharing information all the time with my friends and family and co-workers and sometimes even perfect strangers. People are either intrigued, grateful, astounded or annoyed with the information I share, but thankfully it's not often annoyed, and mostly I think it's stuff that people are really glad they found out.

So I am going to be expanding my individual conversations to a blog format. I will probably be sharing a lot of information from the arena of alternative health. Since I am a massage therapist I feel pretty strongly about the importance of people taking charge of their own health and maybe this will help more people to do that. There could also be anything from politics to current events to philosophical conversations to at-home-tips, diy's and recipes on here--it just depends on my mood.

Hopefully the people who have benefited from those conversations in the past will find this a resource and invite their friends and family and co-workers and strangers to utilize this as a weapon in their battle for knowledge. Knowing is only half the battle, but I think it probably the most important half.
Remember: Knowledge is Power!

1 comment: